Ross Hall

Our Plan is Revolutionary! Building a home for an American Treasure
In July, 1778, General George Washington’s headquarters was at Ross Hall on River Road in Piscataway, New Jersey and the MAIN ARMY of the United States, 11,000 patriots, was camped on the banks of the Raritan River.  Fresh from the success at the Battle of Monmouth, it was at this place—Piscataway, NJ, and time—July 4, 1778, that George Washington ordered the first national expression of July 4th as Independence Day.The 11,000 patriots were ordered to put green boughs in their hats, march across the river on Landing Lane Bridge, line the banks of the Raritan in New Brunswick, and shoot their rifles twice down and up the line—a 3 hour event.That evening the General hosted a party for officers (including Alexander Hamilton, the Marquis de Lafayette and Baron von Steuben) and their ladies at Ross Hall.  Ross Hall was destroyed in the 1960s, but because of its significance, the parlor wall was saved. This wall, apart from its value as a piece of colonial craftsmanship and architecture, has a deeper, more resonating significance: it was a witness to history and to the generation that founded, and defended, the United States of America. The plan is to restore and interpret The Ross Hall Wall, and the incredible historical moment it represents, in a new wing of the museum.
Your donation will allow its amazing story to be told

The Metlar/Bodine House Museum
1281 River Road
Piscataway, New Jersey 08854
Phone: 732-463-8363

The Fire

On Thursday Night, July 17th 2003, the Metlar-Bodine House Museum suffered a serious fire that destroyed a great deal of its collection and one-third of the building. Watch this video to see some of the damage.  The remainder of the building and the collection were seriously damaged by smoke and water. 11 years later the historic site is completely restored and a new accessible entrance with ADA compliant restrooms is being constructed. This addition will allow the building to obtain permanent occupancy and by late spring 2014 the museum will once again be open to the public.